cookies

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

C L I M B // Tips for your first time Bouldering outdoors!

I've gone bouldering in Hanger 19 and have done "rock climbing" on those climbing walls they have at like festivals and stuff. Truthfully, I have no upper arm strength and do everything I can to build it, but this sport requires a full body workout. No joke. I didn't rely on my legs as much as I should have and forced myself to use my upper body because I was scared shitless of falling and bleeding. I absolutely hate injuries (cuts/scrapes/bruises/you name it) so choosing to partake in this sport outside was less of my brighter ideas. I love the idea of being outdoors and would absolutely do it again. I just need to get over the fear of falling and trust that my body is strong.

It's really hard to get past the idea of being a cramped ass shoe. I don't know how people do it. I originally brought sneakers to go hiking but realistically I would have been happy in sandals. Then again we went during the summer in 100+ weather so of course that sounds like a better idea. I'm sure when Climbing Season comes I'll be more prepared. I love the cold and being able to do this during this season sounds so appealing to me.

Tips:
1. Use whole body.
2. Trust your feet.
3. Use chalk (I have an abnormal fear of chalk so getting past this is a struggle for me).
4. Don't be ashamed to use the vb and v0 climbs. That's all I did all day.
5. If you don't get it the first time, try it again.
6. CUT YOUR FINGER NAILS AND TOE NAILS. (the scraping sounds kill me when I hear it and your feet are gonna be squished into a tiny shoe.
7. Wear movable clothing, but not too lose. Thick sweat pants would probably not help you in this situation.
8. Wear hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen! Protect your eyes and skin!
9. Buy a guide book. It would be pretty silly to not know where your going and helpful to know which routes to climb.
10. Climb in the shade when possible, especially during the summer.
11. HYDRATE
12. Protein up!
13. YOU SHOULD HAVE A CRASH PAD! Dang that sucker really helped me out. We only had one, so I'm sure having multiple would be beneficial.
14. Don't be arrogant. No matter how good you think you are, you need someone to spot you and you should always use that crash pad.
15. Take off climbing shoes between climbs. Your feet will thank you later.
16. Be that awesome person and take pictures for someone else and hopefully they will return the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only kind words please.